The PJC shall be an apex provincial body responsible for ensuring the effective administration, operation and development of a fair, Impartial and inclusive rule of law and organizations to address provincial law, justice and security challenges within their territory/jurisdictions. To this end, the PJC shall as a forum for provincial inter-organisational coordination and cooperation:
- Review the law and order status in the province/jurisdiction and take necessary measure/s to enhance the operation and effectiveness of the rule of law organisations.
- Lead the review, formulation, coordination and implementation of rule of law reforms in the province/jurisdiction.
- Formulate policies and plans for effective implementation of the rule of law to address security and justice challenges.
- Review, formulate and coordination the design, implementation and impact of rule of law reforms and related projects and programmes.
- In particular to improve Service Delivery:
- Enhance coordination between the respective rule of law organisations.
- Enhance judicial-executive coordination to improve justice sector service delivery.
- Conduct institutional, organisational and impact assessments to review and strengthen departmental/organisational performance and effectiveness.
- Formulate and implement performance standards.
- Formulate and implement monitoring and evaluate frameworks to ensure effective and timely service delivery and reform implementation.
- Develop operating process, procedures, plans and policies to enhance the quality of justice and security effectiveness.
- To review the performance of and provide policy guidance to the district Criminal Justice Coordination Committees (DCJCCs), or their equivalent bodies.
- To review DCJCC recommendations and where necessary issue policy and/or operational directions and/or measures.
- Make recommendations to the Federal and Provincial governments and the LJCP to strengthen rule of law institutions and organisations to improve Service Delivery.